This week’s Sunday Supplement is all about Belgium!
That wonderful country that separates France and The Netherlands, and borders Germany to the East. This country has definitely always punched above it’s weight in terms of contributions to the world. We have Belgium to thank for the Smurfs(!), Jean-Claude Van Damme(!!) and Hergé, who created the incredible TinTin comics.
But mainly, today I salute Belgium for three things:
Waffles, French Fries, and Chocolate!!
The Waffles, children!! They are truly glorious. For we thank the Belgiums for the wonderous creation that is, the Liege Waffle. Liege waffles are absolutely my favourite kind of waffles, hands down. If I could only eat one kind of waffle for the whole rest of my life, it would be the liege waffle.
They are slow-risen, yeasted waffles, studded with pearl sugar so that when they bake, little pockets of caramelised sugar form within the crispy walls of the waffle. It is truly a thing of beauty. Stay tuned for a recipe, because I can’t hold on much longer.
I cannot think about Belgian Frites without thinking about this scene from Pulp Fiction, because even though John Travolta’s character is talking about Holland (Netherlands), they do it in Belgium too! Mayonnaise ALL OVER the chips, and baby, it’s a good time.
It’s weird that even though we call them French Fries, any Belgian will tell you that Frites definitely come from Belgium. The French even make fun of them for eating frites all the time! But you didn’t hear that from me.
And the chocolate, oh the chocolate. What is it about the countries in this region of Europe that they have such an affinity for the sweet stuff we all love? Belgium, to me, is where milk chocolate reigns supreme.
I know the trend at the moment is for dark chocolate, high percentage, and I love that. But there is something about GOOD milk chocolate, that I simply adore. And when I can’t stand it any longer, I will be busting out one bowl, and I will be cracking into the gingersnap crusted chocolate fondant pictured above. Molten heaven, and phenomenal with milk chocolate.
And now, for your internet perusing pleasure, my collection of the greatest waffles, chocolate and french fries we have to offer;
- This video from Just A Taste looks like a winner for Fries, erry time.
- Joy know that fries are important, and she shows us the way, with a life lesson.
- How Sweet Eats is like my snack food go-to blog. Fries? BOOM.
- These oven-baked truffley parmesan french fries look awesome, thank you Mrs!
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Waffles! Minimalist Baker; is there anything they won’t waffle?
- Bacon Cheddar Waffles from Shutterbean. Great waffles, to match an amazing last name.
- From Candid Appetite, these Fried Chicken & Waffle Sandwiches. They. Are. AMAZING.
- Double Raspberry Waffles. I will take a megabite.
- These Almond Chocolate Pots de Creme are a testament to the talent at Green Kitchen Stories.
- This chocolate mousse from Jamie Oliver.com, is the best I’ve ever had.
- These Chocolate Covered Raspberries from Sugar Hero. I just..I just wanna eat ’em.
- And these Salted Caramel + Nutella Stuffed Double Choc Chip cookies are just ridiculous. Total nonsense, Izy.