1. Bacon Egg & Cheese Bagels – Let’s face it, Valentine’s Day can be full of schlocky nonsense. It’s not for everyone. I’ve never been that into it myself – BUT I make it a rule never to pass up an opportunity for good eats. So, if you and your partner feel the same way, this is the perfect middle ground. Make yourself two of these New York classics, wrap them in paper and foil, and go and eat them in the park or something. It’s a date, but it’s not a date, and there’s bacon. Happy V-Day!
2. Single Lady Apple Pancake – Single lady’s (and gentlemen) are totally not precluded from celebrating Valentine’s! I mean, it’s a celebration of love, not of togetherness. So to show your number one boo (yourself) some love, melt a scoop of ice cream into an apple-filled pancake for one. Don’t be shy with the caramel sauce – extra sauce means extra love.
3. Bacon Sandwich – If you’re looking for breakfast in bed, and you only have a few ingredients in the house, here’s your guy. The joy of crispy bacon wedged between two slices of lightly buttered bread is boundless. Two of these, a pot of coffee and a stack of good books is a pretty dreamy Valentine’s morning.
4. Sticky Date Granola – OK, so maybe you’re the outdoors type, and you’ve got a run or a day of rock climbing planned – a batch of this totally delicious, but still totally full-of-goodness granola is the answer! Whether you make it to eat together in the morning, or to give in a cool, giant glass jar as a gift, whoever you give this too will definitely feel the love.
5. Brioche French Toast with Rose, Strawberry & Pistachio – This is what I eat when I want to imagine that I’m on the balcony of my cool Parisian attic apartment. If you’re trying to impress and you know that your dining partner is a Francophile, then this is the one for you. Also, I feel like this is the epitome of Galentine’s Day recipes, so keep that in mind – remember it’s about showing love to the people you care about.
6. Blackberry & Vanilla Ice Cream Float – I was going to suggest that this is awesome for kids, which it is, but it would also be super-cool for teenagers, and kind of awesome for everyone else too. Who could be sad about an ice cream float? I love the old timey, share-a-straw, soda shoppe vibe of this.
7. Molten Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tarts – It wouldn’t be valentine’s day without a molten-centred something, right? Does this represent the gooey sentimentality of the day? The way that love turns us all to puddles? Or is it just so good, that any excuse will do? It’s the last one, for sure. In my opinion, a box of these delivered to a close friend would be the most amazing thing ever.
8. Lush Chocolate Milo Cake – GALENTINE’S DAY! This is for all my ladeeez! Let’s screw off Valentine’s Day, whether we have boyfriends or not and just absolutely attack this cake with forks! Anarchy! Girls just wanna have fun!
10. Icelandic Happy Marriage Cake – If my boo and I ever get married, I’m gonna make this cake every year, just for good luck. I think it’s such a gorgeous sentiment from those Icelanders, and to me the idea that baking a cake makes for a happy marriage is so delightful. It might be more complicated than that, but the little things are super important too. Plus, that rhubarb filling is amaze.
11. Pear Tarte Tatin – You know what they say – tarte tatin is for lovers. Actually, it’s just me that says that. But I think it ought to be a saying. The perfect ending to a romantic meal.
12. Ricotta Fritters with Chocolate Orange Sauce – Fried food is sexy. Melted chocolate is sexy. This recipe is sexy. It’s a sexy recipe for a sexy day (for some), and frankly, if you can’t dunk little fried puffs of ricotta into chocolate sauce on Valentine’s day, then dammit, when can you?
13. Baked Chocolate Mousse with Cherry Whipped Cream – Here’s an unconventional idea; throw a dinner party on Valentine’s Day. Invite your grandma, or your parents, or your friend from work, or the people in your Acapella group. This baked chocolate mousse is the perfect thing to serve for dessert – girly, but not too girly. And totally delicious.
14. Milo Ice Cream Cake – You know what’s the cool thing about ice cream cakes? You can make a whole one, have all the fun of baking, assembling and decorating it, and then cut one slice, and throw the rest of it back in the freezer. It won’t go to waste! So if you want to feel selfish, or maybe even do a little wallowing – no judgements – then this ice cream cake is just the ticket.
15. Sexy Bacon Cheeseburgers with Special Sauce – The saying is that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. I don’t know about that. But I do know that the way to my heart is through my stomach. And the keyhole is decidedly bacon-cheeseburger shaped. Give me one of these, with a stack of napkins and my boo, and I am one happy lady.
However you’re celebrating this year, or even if you’re not, I hope you have a freaking fabulous Feb 14th. Big love to you all from me.