It’s the end of Winter! In fact, technically we’re still in winter, and yet the temperatures in sunny Brisbane are already soaring. For example, it’s a high of 27C/81F today. In Winter. Yeah, we’re boned for summer.
So, since the next 8-9 months are going to be hotter than the devils…chilli patch? I don’t know, anyway it’s going to be hot, so I’m trying to get all my frying in now. Enter, these Crispy Spiced Sweet Potato Fritters!
Clearly, I’m obsessed with donuts. They are my dessert island dream, and I’m already planning my next opportunity to eat a donut, before these bad boys have even cooled off.
But this kind of quick, spiced, easy fritters are my favourite kind to make. They’re so simple and so moreish. The kind of thing that you can just sit out in the Winter sun (or shade, on days like today) and pick away at them with a cup of coffee, and then before you know it, they’re all gone.
As you might imagine, with a name like ‘Crispy, Spiced Sweet Potato Fritters’ these are crispy, they are spiced, and they contain that sugary orange root vegetable we all know and love.
The spices are cinnamon and nutmeg, and they take these to a seriously happy place. I mean, I don’t want to bring up the holiday season already in the year? But, like, you should pin these to your Christmas board so you don’t forget about them come December.
Or just damn those torpedoes and get your little deep-frying saucepan out! In other words, be like me. Especially if, like me, you happen to have some leftover roasted sweet potatoes. Because those once-healthy bad boys are crying out to fry-o-lated.
Anyway, hope you’re week’s shaking out! I can’t believe it’s only 5 days til The Sugar Hit book comes out! EEEEEEEK!
PS – check out that awesome polka-spotted napkin, isn’t it cool? From the lovely people at Antipodean Love!
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- ⅓ cup (35g) caster sugar (aka superfine sugar)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup roasted, mashed sweet potato
- ⅓ cup (85ml) milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- oil, for frying
- icing sugar (powdered sugar) to serve
- Place the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sweet potato, eggs and milk and stir together until everything is combined - you should have a thick batter.
- Place 2 inches of oil into a deep-sided saucepan, and clip a candy thermometer to the edge of the pan. Heat the oil, over a medium flame, to 180C/350F.
- Carefully drop tbsp sized dollops of batter into the oil, and leave to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until dark golden brown.
- Remove the a wire rack, with some foil underneath it to catch the draining oil.
- Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Dust the fritters thickly with icing sugar to serve.