Here’s the truth. I ate this for breakfast. In Thailand, where this deliciously coconutty (and incidentally vegan and gluten-free) dessert hails from, this is more of a sweet snack.
Honestly, though I would eat this at any time of the day, even dinner. Sometimes breakfast for dinner is exactly what I need, and the lovely folks at Foodie who have sponsored this post, have asked me to share some of my all time favourite Breakfast for Dinner recipes in this kickass slideshow. Check it out!
Check out Breakfast for Dinner
Back to this sticky rice, though. It is usually served with mango, but it’s not quite mango season here yet, and it’s so good that I couldn’t let that hold me back.
The passionfruit and pomegranate are a gorgeous combo with the coconut scented, lightly sweetened rice. The rice is absolutely delicious, it has all the delicious chewy texture of regular rice pudding as well as this nutty, smoky complexity that comes from the black rice itself.
I have a new found and intense love for passionfruit. With this smoky-sweet, delicious, chewy rice the super fragrant passionfruit is heavenly. But if you can’t be bothered to go to that much trouble, I strongly suggest just drizzling a little coconut cream into a passionfruit half and having at it with a spoon.
That’s for days when you can’t even manage breakfast for dinner. Not even an Epic Breakfast Sandwich. And damn, that’s a tough day. So what’s your ‘I’m-so-tired-I-can’t-even-function’ emergency meal?
- 4oz (100g) black sticky rice
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- pinch of salt
- 1 x 14oz (400ml) can coconut cream
- 2 tbsp brown or palm sugar
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 2 passionfruits
- Place the rice, water and salt into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through but still chewy. If need be, add a splash more water.
- Once the rice is cooked through, shake the can of coconut cream well, and add about ¾ of the can to the rice. Add the sugar as well, and then bring back to the boil.
- Cook the rice for a further 20-30 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced, and the rice is sticky and thick.
- Leave the rice to cool to room temperature.
- To serve, divide the rice between four bowls or plates, scatter over plenty of pomegranate seeds, drizzle over the remaining coconut cream, and serve each plate with half a passionfruit.