Hello, my lovely loves. And welcome to the inaugural post in a new series on The Sugar Hit.
I give you; the Sunday Supplements!
For those unfamiliar with the term, it comes from ye olde traditional newspapers, wherein there would be a magazine or 5 included in the Sunday edition; aka the Sunday Supplement. This tome would include lighthearted topics like fashion reporting, music news, columns, short fiction, illustrations, you name it! So think of these weekly posts as the same sort of thing, a look outside the usual recipes and into the rest of the world of creativity out there. Each week will have a theme, but since this is the very first edition, we are starting out with simply PURE AWESOMENESS.
First of all, I’d like to draw your eye to this book, Gizzi Erskine’s Skinny Weeks and Weekend Feasts. This book is amazeballz. Seriously, I am actually obsessed with it. The first half of the book is a whole ton of recipes which are all perfect for during the week, when I cannot simply eat the meatball subs I desire every minute of the day – these are the “Skinny Weeks” recipes. Things like roasted duck noodle soup and Thai chicken satay rice bowls, but perfectly health conscious and low cal. The second half of the book is full of kick-assingly gorgeous menus and recipes for the “Weekend Feasts” part of your life. My Epic Lamb Buns were inspired by this book – I can’t stop cooking from it. Love it.
This is what I’ve been reading this week, Ian Fleming’s You Only Live Twice, a 007 novel. I’ve been slowly working my way through the original Bonds on and off for about the past 6 years, in completely the wrong order. They are always magical. They are the perfect traveller’s books. There is something comforting about being on the road yourself, and reading about someone who is also off on an adventure, albeit a slightly more hazardous one than yours. They are fast paced, very 60s books, and I love them. If you’re after an action packed read, I can’t recommend this enough, I’d say it’s almost my favourite Bond so far. Did I mention that cover art? Come on!
This is what I can’t stop listening to this week. I love this band, the Arctic Monkeys. Don’t misunderstand, I will rock out equally hard to Beyonce or some old school Madonna. But underneath it all I will always be the black-jean wearing rock chick of my teenage years. Can’t stop, don’t want to stop! I watched the movie Almost Famous at a very formative time in my life, and that coupled with my Dad’s Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and Beatles-heavy tastes, means that I am most appreciative of a little guitar music. Plus, I fangirl pretty hard over Alex Turner. That voice? Killer.
I am currently desperate for a blue motorcycle jacket. Here are three gorgeous examples from ASOS. Currently all out of my league price wise, but if the internet wasn’t partly invented so that I could perv on gorgeous clothes, then I don’t know what’s what.
And finally what has everyone brought to the crazy internet pot-luck this week, remembering our theme is PURE AWESOMENESS?
- Megabite has understood my need to consume butter and nutella at speed with her Maple Shortbead Fries. Maple. Shortbread. Fries.
- Hungry Girl Cindy taught me that there is no such thing as too many cookie recipes with her Ginger & Oatmeal Choc Chippers.
- Erika finally brought Gin and Ginger together. It sounds right, it looks right, it is right.
- Cheers to Todd at Honestly Yum for introducing me to my new favourite drank, The Boulevardier. It’s a Bourbon Negroni, you guys.
- I can’t get over this Chocolate Smoked Salt Ice Cream from Kitchenette Blogger Brittany
- Sharp and Witty Billy combined three of my favourite things in his Butternut Squash and Chorizo Shells. Epic.
- I lost my mind over this Triple Chocolate Avocade Shake from the Minimalist Baker team, Dana and John.
- I am total sucker for anything with praline paste in it, not least Maria’s Rustic Paris-Brest.
- Ashley added coconut to French toast and served it with butter rum sauce. Come on now.
- Eva’s Salted Rose & Honey Pie sounds like something that the Greek gods would have eaten.
- …aaaaaaaaand finally, Joy the Baker reached into my mind and crafted my ideal Brown Butter Baked Doughnut.
And that’s how we do the Sunday Supplement!
Hope you liked it!