Bread is my kryptonite. Well, bread and pie….and donuts…and fries… My kryptonite is carbs, let’s be real. So when I want to really fall off the healthy-eating wagon (which, although the evidence suggests otherwise, I am on) I make a dessert sandwich.
And that’s exactly what this is. A crispy, brown-buttery, fruit-filled, sandwich covered in caramel, ice cream and happiness.
I made this baby using a Jaffle-maker which, in my opinion, is one of mankind’s Top 10 inventions. It’s basically a sandwich-maker, but it seals the bread, forming pockets in which all sorts of gooey deliciousness can hide.
Of course, you could probably make this yourself, just smushing the bread together at the edges with your fingers, and then cooking in a pan, but I doubt it would work nearly as well as the genuine article.
The magic of this is three fold. First, the apple; sweet-tart, cooked through and tender, like an excellent apple pie filling. Secondly, the brown-butterscotch; I will never make regular butterscotch again. Regular butterscotch is a fool’s game. It’s dead to me.
Thirdly, finally, and most magically, is the bread. The buttery bread. Completely crunchy on the outside (from butter, and a little butterscotch spillage) and tenderly sauce-soused on the inside. DREAMY.
This is kind of like the ultimate, easy apple pie. Mcdonalds should give up on the deep fried ones and just make these. Yeah I said it. And I will be happy to sell them the recipe for a small (read:ginormous) fee.
But until that huge cheque comes rollin’ in, I can comfort myself with the next best thing. The actual thing. An actual one of these.
So that’s pretty much the shape of my weekend – buttery jaffles, lots of coffee, dreaming up more crazy nonsense to test in my kitchen, and perhaps at some point I will socialize.
How about you? What’s your sweet treat this weekend?
- 1 small granny smith apple (or another tart variety)
- 1 tbsp butter, plus extra
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 slices of white bread
- ice cream, to serve
- Peel and slice the apple into small chunks (1/2 inch/1cm).
- Place the butter into a small frying pan over a medium heat, and cook until foamy. Add the apple and cook until the butter is browned and the apple is almost tender.
- Add the brown sugar to the pan, and cook, stirring, until it melts and blends with the butter, then carefully add the cream, and stir gently until a butterscotch sauce forms. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble the jaffle, generously butter two slices of bread on one side only.
- Scoop the apple out of the sauce (save the sauce for serving) and pile onto the unbuttered side of one of the slices of bread. Sandwich with the other piece, again with the buttered side facing out.
- Place the sandwich into a pre-heated jaffle maker and cook until dark golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream and the leftover butterscotch sauce.
omg sarah. omg. you’re killing me.
Uhhhh gorgeous. The butterscotch!!
This looks so beyond amazing. YES, please!! :)
i’m DELIGHTED by the heart-shaped apple in one of your pictures, and by this creation in general. :)
Whoa girl, this has all kinds of deliciousness going on!! LOVE!
Another great recipe sarah! I don’t know which I love most – the sweet-tart apple paired with butterscotch, the golden, crispy bread , or your witty repartee!
Thank you Gillian! I am absolutely IN LOVE with all your gorgeous work on instagram at the moment!
i need this immediately. please? :)
For you? Of course!
My brother made his first homemade cake and cream cheese frosting…so i’ll be indulging in carrot cake. However, if i didn’t have that, i would be rushing to the store to find the ingredients to make this decadent treat.
and yes, carbs are definitely my kryptonite…cake…homemade chocolate chip cookies, fries, *sigh* LOL
I think you jaffles are our toasties <3 DESSERT SAMMY!? get outta here.
I love this recipe, I will use it in my blog (giving you all the credit of course) for my breakfast series. Your blog is so fun and amazing!!!
Love from Venezuela,
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sandwich look so good! My weakness is carbs too (understatement) so I am all over enclosing carbs in more carbs and then toasting them. Genius!
Though my teeth may be hurting just looking at these images, I will just have to make an earlier trip to the dentist cause dammnnnnn I want one of these!
Wow that looks awesome! I’m not quite sure what a jaffle is yet but I want one :)
Oh Sarah Sarah Sarah. I’ve just made it. And it is amazing! I love every single bites of it. Especially the apple. Oh Gosh, the combination tastes are heavenly awesome. I love it so much!