If you’re used to crumble that is on the hook, get excited, because this one is totally off it. It’s a typically buttery crunchy crumble topping, studded generously with hazelnuts, plenty of whole rolled oats, and scented not with cinnamon (a little played out) but aromatic vanilla!
The reason I call this Hazelnut & Vanilla Crumble wiiiiiith Peaches and Blueberries, is because the crumble topping is the real breakthrough here. I absolutely adore this combination of fruit, but you could put this topping on pretty much anything and it would be amazing.
Off the top of my head, some combos that I think would be amazing are…apple and blackberry, rhubarb and raspberry, plum and cherry, apple and quince! So you see where I’m going with this. It’s delicious.
Are you a fan of the crumble? Is anyone not a fan of crumbles? In my experience they’re pretty universally adored. They are like a super-relaxed version of pie. Like what pie would be like if it just got back from a week in Jamaica. So, so chill.
Plus, they’re full of fruit, so not only are they juicily bursting with sweet, tart, delicious flavour, but also not as terrible for you as, say, a couple dozen s’mores.
In my opinion, there is nothing better than a shallow bowl full of crispy, hazelnut-studded crumble topping and jammy, syrupy fruit, with a boule of quality vanilla ice cream melting lusciously into it. When the ice cream mingles with the fruit, and the crumble is just starting to sog into it….mmmmmmmm.
PS, in addition to being completely in love with this crumble (I’ll never love another…maybe), I’m kind of obsessed with this new pink background. That bubblegum pink is killing me! It’s like the colour of a Pink Lady’s jacket.
You want to know my secret? It’s just paper. A big old piece of poster paper. So cheap! So fun! So good for kickstarting some inspiration! Tell me what’s inspiring you at the moment? And how do you feel about crumbles?
- 1 + ½ sticks (175g) butter
- ½ cup (110g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or the seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup (100g) whole rolled oats
- 1 + ½ cups (225g) plain flour
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- big pinch of salt
- 4 peaches
- 2 cups blueberries (frozen is fine)
- ⅓ cup (75g) sugar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon, and juice of half
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Wash and quarter the peaches, and place them into a large pie dish with the frozen blueberries and the remaining ingredients for the fruit. Toss well and set aside.
- To make the crumble, place the butter, sugar and vanilla into a large bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir through well until everything is combined, and forming small, doughy clumps.
- Scatter the crumble mixture over the fruit, place onto a lined baking tray and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling at the edges. Serve with vanilla ice cream.