Nothing says Friday like a great big, sexy, juicy burger – amirite? This, my friends, is my ultimate burger. It is my masterpiece. It sadly means that I am spoiled for all other burgers.
It’s pretty much my idea of heaven.
It’s a burger with the works! Special sauce, crispy bacon, swiss cheese (gotta be), the best & simplest burger patty, ketchup, lettuce, tomato and onion and a pickle.
Nothing more and nothing less than exactly what I want that burger-beast to be! If you want to take your burger to barbecue town, or throw on double meat and cheese, please be my guest! But now, I’m gonna show you the original and the best.
It all starts with the bun – soft and white please. There’s no room for sourdough here. I might stretch to a brioche bun, but in my heart of hearts, I know it ought to be just white and soft.
Then there’s that special sauce – my own secret/not so secret recipe. It’s simple and it’s next level – mayo, mustard, worcestershire sauce (just a drop) and….wait for it…pickled green chillies. Finely sliced. Amazing.
The patty comes next – I use top-quality organic beef mince and I do nothing to it! Just shape into patties as quickly as you can (don’t squish or squelch them around, it makes them tough) and then season oh-so-generously with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Cook them in a screaming hot cast-iron pan or griddle pan. Mine get about 2 minutes a side, for a just-pink centre, and a rich, savoury crust. On goes a criss-cross of swiss cheese, and two rashers of crisp bacon plus a drizzle of ketchup. The bacon must be smoked! Non-negotiable.
I’m flexible on salad options, but I like the classic sliced onion, tomato and lettuce. I never keep my tomatoes in the fridge, and I encourage you not to either. Ditto the onion, but then, who keeps onion in the fridge? That would be weird.
I gotta have pickles, but I get that some people hate them, so you do you on that one. And once your burger is assembled take a moment to look upon the glory of what you have created.
And then grab a stack of napkins and a cold drink and get. stuck. in.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp American/yellow mustard
- 3-4 small green pickled chillies, finely chopped
- Few drops of worcestershire sauce
- 300g minced beef (organic, if you can)
- sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 rashers smoked bacon
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 soft white buns
- ketchup, sliced tomatoes, sliced onion, lettuce and pickles, as desired
- First, make the special sauce by stirring together the mayo, mustard, chillies and worcestershire sauce. Taste and add more of any ingredient if you think it needs it.
- Divide the beef mince into two, and shape each half into a patty that's just under an inch thick, and slightly larger than your burger buns (it will shrink when it cooks). Try not to work the beef too much, just enough to get it the right shape. Season very generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron pan or griddle until very hot (turn on the exhaust fan if you have one) and then cook the patties for about 2 minutes a side for medium-well (or however you like them).
- Cook the bacon in the same pan (if there's room) until crisp. If there's no room, use a second pan or do it under the grill.
- When the patties are done, lay over the cheese, criss-crossing the slices on each patty.
- To assemble your burger, spread the bottom buns generously with special sauce, add the cheese-covered patties, then distribute the bacon, ketchup, salad and pickles as desired.
- Skewer with a pickle and a toothpick, if desired, and then EAAAAT IT!