Pie Pie Pie, ya’ll. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; pie may be my favourite dessert of all time.
The lovely Elizabeth of Sugar Hero told me recently that she was making me an honorary American because I love you guys’ food so much, and it’s true! Ever since I was a kid I’ve had a huge thang for awesome traditional food from the USA, which brings me back to pie! I think it may be the perfect dessert.
Firstly, because it’s so versatile. Pie takes us all the way through from puddings, custards, bavarian creams and ice cream to fruit pies, nut pies, pumpkin pies and crack pies. Is there anything that we, as a people, cannot pie?
I don’t think there is, and in fact, these two books right here are the proof. These two are on my Christmas list for SURE! Because pie is not only one of my favourite things to eat, it is one of my favourite things to read about as well. There always seems to be such wonderful folklore attached to pie baking.
Because pie-making seems to go down through the generations, there is always talk about Grandma’s pie, and Great Aunt Sylvia’s pie, and Mrs McMenamen’s incredible Rhubarb Meringue pie, you remember her? The one who lived next door to Cousin Mungo?
And because I’m a big old lame sentimentalist, I can’t help but be completely enchanted by that. For the record, I do not have a Cousin Mungo, but I wish I did. Because that name is just crying out for a secret pie recipe attached to it. What’s the secret? Is it vodka in the crust, leaf lard, tapioca starch, slightly underripe blackberries, slight overripe peaches? A special mix of apple varieties, a sprinkle of fleur de sel?
I don’t know what it is, but I think every pie has a secret ingredient. Or maybe it’s like the soup in Kung Fu Panda…
I love that it’s always pie season, no matter what time of year it is. Anyway, let’s look at who has the magic touch, the secret ingredient. Who’s pro-styling pie these days?
- These sour cherry hand pies from Dula Notes look like heaven to me – especially since I can’t get sour cherries here. WAAAAH.
- The Baking Bird’s blog is new to me, and I LOVE IT! Because Salted Lavender Honey Pie.
- This is EXACTLY the kind of pie-magic I’m talking about, thank you Take A Megabite Mom.
- If this post doesn’t make you want to bake pie, then nothing will. The instructions are superb.
- THIS PIE SUNDAE FROM BILLY.
- Because there are no rules in pie, this Amaretti Brown Butter Pear Crisp is amazing. Hat’s off to Cindy.
- Frozen Peanut Butter pie from Sneh at Cook Republic, because it’s HOT here right now.
- Would you LOOK at this Grapefruit Meringue Pie?! Elizabeth crushes it once more.
- Possibly the most friendly kind of pie is the Slab Pie; Triple Berry from Crepes of Wrath? Blueberry from Spoon Fork Bacon? Peach from Brooklyn Supper? THEY’RE ALL GOOD!
- Deb knows pie.
- Deep Dish Apple Crumble Pie is a pretty pie-ing combination from Minimalist Baker. Imma try to introduce the word pie like Gretchen Weiners with ‘fetch’, that is so PIE we’ll all say!
And finally, this: