I’m hijacking Street Food Monday today with these epic burgers from Jessica Merchant’s new book Seriously Delish (you probably know her amazing blog How Sweet It Is)
I mean sure, we could talk about how burgers are AWESOME street food, and we could talk about tailgating and the awesome feeling of sitting in bleachers watching basically anything and eating a burger. OR….
We could talk about this book. I feel like I can’t find the words to express how much I admire Jess, her blog is incredible. But translating that into a book is no mean feat.
Jess has managed to do it, and not only do a good job, but actually achieve that rare quality that the very best cookbooks have, of making you feel like you’re getting advice from your friend who is right there in the room with you.
There are so many great recipes in the book, but it’s just such a great read as well. This one will definitely end up on your bedside table, and then in your kitchen, and then in the lounge room next to the couch. I’ve been carrying it around with me, absentl mindedly from room to room, because I just keep picking it up to page through it.
After these burgers, which I literally couldn’t stop myself from making, I can’t wait to make Jess’s Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps, her Bacon, Egg and Avocado Corn Cakes, the Crispy Salt and Pepper Brussels Sprouts, the BBQ Chicken and Sweet Corn Pizza, and the OH LORD, the S’mores Hot Fudge Shakes. Seriously Delish is a keeper, and I’m so glad to have it in my collection.
- 4 jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely diced
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 + ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pound (450g) lean ground beef
- 1 + ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 8 ounces blue cheese, sliced or crumbled
- 2 cups arugula (aka rocket)
- 4 whole grain buns, toasted
- For the jam, combined the jalapeno peppers, water, brown sugar, vinegar, and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the hat to a simmer and cook until it becomes slightly syrupy and reduces bu one-quarter, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- For the burgers, combine the beef, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix gently with your hands and form it into 4 equal patties. Let the burgers sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over low to medium heat. Add the bacon slices and fry until crispy and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel to drain. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease out of the skillet.
- Heat the same skillet over medium-heat and add the burger patties. Cook until browned on each side and your desired doneness is reached. For burgers done medium-well, I usually cook them for about 6 minutes per side.
- About 1 minute before the burgers are finished add the blue cheese on top and cover the skillet. Cook until the cheese just begins to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss the arugula with the remaining 1½ teaspoons olive oil.
- Spread the jalapeno jam on the bottom of each bun. Add the burger and place the bacon and arugula on top, followed by the top of the bun.
Spicy blue cheese burger are my favorite. LOVE blue cheese!
These look gooooood, girl! I’ve heard so many awesome things about that book, I’m excited to get my hands on a copy!
It’s genuinely a great book! I bet ya love it.
The jalapeno jam looks like the best part of this. I love anything that mixes sweet and spicy…mmmmm.
I need to get my hands on a copy of the book! I follow her blog and love her recipes
If you’re a fan of the blog, you’ll love the book, I know it!
Yum!! I’ve been wanting to make these ones too!
Looks amazing Sarah! Can’t wait to check out the book!!
What gorgeous looking burgers!
Sarah… this post is awesome. love the burgers, and your photography is gorgeous. Thanks for the seriously delish tip… i’ll be looking for it!
Blue cheese and bacon…talking about the perfect burger!
Man, I love a Blue Cheese Burger!
That’s seriously DELISH! Ugh, can’t wait to try them at home ?
Those are some seriously great cookbook reviews too. And Dat JAM!
I love Jessica’s blog, and I love this burger. I can’t wait to finally get my hands on this book.