There are two reasons why I am so majorly excited to share this post with you today. The first one is that I have finally found a recipe for a gluten free, dairy free and VEGAN ice cream that is just every single little bit as creamy and delicious as the real deal.
And the second one is that the person who came up with this fabulous recipe is not only willing to share it with us, but she’s written a whole book about it, and I have one to giveaway!
Do you know Aimee Ryan? She’s the stylistic genius behind the lovely blog Wallflower Girl. Add that one to your feed-reader, friends, because she’s doing some beautiful work over there.
More intriguingly to me, Aimee is putting in the hard yards for those of us who have restricted diets, whether by necessity or by choice, and she really is coming up with some brilliant results if this ice cream is anything to go by.
How do I love thee, chocolate coconut ice cream? Let me count the ways. You are creamy, not icey. You are strongly chocolatey, not just brown. You are scented with coconut, bringing to mind memories of coconut roughs, which are a weird round disk of chocolate and coconut that I used to eat when I was a kid.
In short, you are everything I could ever want an ice cream to be, whether you contain grains, refined sugars, animal products or not. And considering the fact that you don’t, well that’s really something.
Aimee’s book is totally gorgeous, and full of different recipes. I picked one of the most basic, because I think that’s the true test of any ice cream recipe. Man oh man, did that turn out. Now I have my eye set on her Cashew Cookie Dough Chip, because YES PLEASE!
Now for the fun part – the giveaway! If you would like the chance to win an e-copy of the lovely Miss Aimee’s book, so that you can have all of her expert advice, detailed substitution recommendations, and super creative recipes at your fingertips, then simply leave a comment below! A winner be randomly selected and contacted next Monday (23rd June, 2014 AEST). Good luck!
This competition has closed, a winner was announced on The Sugar Hit Facebook Page, on the 23rd June 2014.
- 720ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 20g cocoa powder
- 120ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90g dark chocolate chips (gf, df, vegan as required)
- optional (1 tbsp alcohol)
- Mix 60 ml coconut milk with the arrowroot powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk, the cocoa powder and maple syrup into a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring all the time.
- As soon as the mixture begins to boil, stir in the arrowroot mixture to thicken the liquid.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, chocolate chips and alcohol. Keep stirring until all the chocolate is melted.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge until cold and churn. (in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions)
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.