MMMMMMargaritas! They’re boozy, they’re tangy, they’re salty, and they’re sometimes just what you need. But more specifically, what I often need is pie, but without having to actually make pie. Enter, this pie parfait. A Passionfruit Margarita Pie Parfait. Think of this bad boy as a cross between a key lime pie, a margarita, and a passionfruit. And throw is a salty bar snack too.
Let me tell you what we’ve got going on here. It’s a layer of salty pretzel crumbs – which brings out the ‘bar snack/these pretzels are making me thirsty’ aspect of drinking margs, but also echoes the salty rim. Then, we’ve got what is essentially a super quick passionfruit mousse. It’s a simple stirring together of passionfruit pulp, lime juice, and condensed milk, lightened with some whipped cream, and spiked with a healthy shot of tequila. DROOL.
Now, you could definitely press that pretzel crust into a pie dish, fill it with the mousse and call it a pie, but that sounds an awful lot like hard work, and we all know that Margs and hard work do not mix. So I go the easy, single-serve, in a glass route, and then slap a fancy name on it – parfait! Which is not to mention that these are easier to serve, and I think you get a better crumb-to-filling ratio here.
These are the absolute perfect dessert to serve after literally any spicy meal, but especially something with a Tex-Mex or Mexican feel. They’ve got just the right combination of tangy, creamy, sweet, crunchy, salty and smooth – so they won’t seem boring or tame after all that fire. Plus there’s that little spike of tequila just to keep things interesting. Not too shabs! I made these to celebrate Cinco De Mayo, which is on Thursday this week, as part of Margarita Week by Hola Jalapeno – go ahead and check out the other entries!
Now tell me – parfait or pie?
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 x 14oz/397g can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup passionfruit pulp (3-6 fruits) (plus extra, to decorate, if desired)
- ¼ cup lime juice (2 limes) (plus extra, to decorate, if desired)
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To make the crumbs, place the pretzels, butter and sugar into a food processor and grind down to a damp sand. Spread onto the baking sheet, and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until slightly darkened and toasty smelling. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make the filling, place the condensed milk, passion fruit and lime juice in a large bowl and whisk gently together - the mixture will thicken slightly.
- Whip the cream to medium peaks, and then fold through the condensed milk mixture.
- To assemble, divide half the crumb mixture between six small serving glasses, and top with half the passionfruit filling. Repeat with the remaining crumbs and filling until all the glasses are full.
- Decorate with extra passion fruit pulp and lime wedges, if desired.