It’s popcorn week! You know the score, a bunch of lovely bloggers going bonkers for popcorn for a week. Love it! My contribution? This rainbow popcorn covered rocky road. Check out all the entries!
Tabasco Honey Butter Popcorn — The Speckled Palate
Cookie Butter Popcorn Cupcakes — The Crumby Cupcake
Mexican Chocolate Popcorn — Macheesmo
Unicorn Popcorn Rocky Road — The Sugar Hit
Snickers Popcorn — Cake ‘n Knife
Birthday Cake Oreo Popcorn — Club Narwhal
White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Popcorn — Feast + West
Loaded Candy Bar Popcorn — Sugar Dish Me
Matcha Popcorn Milkshakes — Brunch with Joy
Vegan Caramel Corn Cacao Nib Popcorn — Twin Stripe
S’Mores Popcorn Treats — Hey There Sunshine
Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake with Caramel Corn Crumb Topping — bethcakes
Caramel Corn Pistachio Ice Cream Sandwiches — Meredith Noelle
Caramel-Masala Popcorn with Pistachios — Love & Flour
Vegan Almond Joy Popcorn — The Frosted Vegan
It’s got ritz crackers, oreos, marshmallows, white chocolate and salt, and it’s topped with a shower of candied, homemade UNICORN POPCORN!
First of all, can we talk rocky road? I’m very pro-road. A giant slab o’ chocolate filled with crunchy, chewy, gooey mix ins is right up my alley. The one thing I would say though, is that it’s really a battle against the sweetness.
And that’s true of all rocky road, but especially of white chocolate varieties. You gotta temper that sweetness, with salt and crunch. I feel like the salty ritz crackers do a bang up job in this recipe (other ideas? Pretzels, salted nuts, even peanut butter).
The unicorn popcorn? So much fun. Just simple popped plain popcorn, coated with an easy coloured sugar syrup. I thought this would be a difficult procedure, probably involving a thermometer, but nope! Easy peasy, done in five minutes.
And it doesn’t have any of the terrible, weird flavour that the store-bought coloured popcorn has. I bought some of that stuff to try – it’s nasty. Don’t do it.
Stirring all of that crunchy goodness into the melted white chocolate is so much fun. It just is.
And then ya scrape all that goodness into a pan (I used a disposable foil tin, but a paper-lined baking dish would be dandy) and press over that colourful, happy, exciting popcorn. Set that sucker in the fridge for half an hour and BOOM! Rocky road.
Admittedly, a little psychedelic, dare I say stoner-y rocky road. Or something great for the kids! Either way, good times.
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- food colouring
- sea salt
- 600g (21oz) white chocolate
- 1 cup ritz crackers
- 1½ cups oreos
- 2 cups marshmallows
- pinch of salt
- To make the coloured popcorn, place ¼ cup of sugar, and 2 tbsp water into a heavy based saucepan, along with a few drops of food colouring.
- Bring to the boil, without stirring, and then let it bubble for 20-30 seconds. Stir in ⅓ of the popcorn, with a heatproof spatula, and keep mixing until the popcorn is well coated. Dump the popcorn out onto a lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and leave to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining sugar, popcorn and food colouring.
- To make the rocky road, melt the white chocolate.
- Chop the ritz crackers and oreos into about quarters. Add to the white chocolate, along with the marshmallows and stir well to combine.
- Scrape the mixture into a disposable foil baking sheet, and top with the coloured popcorn, pressing it in gently.
- Place into the fridge to set for about 45 minutes, then cut into squares to serve.