The Slutty Frenchman is no joke. Let me lay it out for y’all to play it out; sliced, smoky ham, melty gruyere, oozy fried egg, crisp spring onions and a slick of sriracha mayo on a soft, white bun.
Now that is a hell of a way to start your day. Or finish your night. And yes, I am aware of the pun potential here, but I’m not touching it ya’ll. Get your minds out of the gutter.
What’s in a name, anyway? The Slutty Frenchman actually totally makes sense when I explain where the inspiration for this bodacious sandwich comes from. Well, first I was watching this video (I love the Munchies Youtube channel), and I was pondering the Croque Madame.
And then I was watching this video (I watch a lot of sandwich clips, so sue me) from the creator of LA restaurant Eggslut, who is all about incredible breakfast sandwiches. And dammit all you guys, I just went ahead and combined the two.
What’s the one problem with a Croque Madame? It’s not portable. You have to eat it with a knife and fork. And what’s the one problem with the sriracha mayo and soft, brioche roll of Eggslut’s sandwiches? They’re not in my mouth right now.
So with that, the sriracha mayo was slathered onto a potato roll (I made 1/2 of Steph’s kickass recipe and instead of 12 sliders, I made 6 large buns), an egg was fried, some cheese was melted, and The Slutty Frenchman was born.
Technically it should be frenchwoman, since it was a Croque Madame, not a Croque Monsier. But The Slutty Frenchman just sounds better, it reminds me of The Flying Dutchman. And also, it’s my sandwich and I do what I want.
On the topic of doing what I want, sorry about the crazy disparity between the photos here! I had the pink chair, blue background set up and was really happy with it, but then when I made these again to eat them, the window light was especially good. So we have a mix! Choose your own photo adventure, I say.
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 potato roll (or brioche, or similar)
- 2 thin slices of smoked ham
- ⅓ cup loosely packed grated gruyere cheese
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- Finely slice the green part of your spring onion into julienne, and then place into ice water, to shock it into curly pieces.
- Stir the mayo and sriracha together.
- Slice the potato roll in half, and toast the cut side under a hot grill until just golden.
- Lay the ham onto the bottom half of the bun, and top with the cheese. Grill again until the cheese just melts, but doesn't colour.
- While the cheese is melting, heat a small non-stick frying pan with a small amount of oil over a low-medium heat and crack in your egg. Cook it until done to your liking - I like mine over-easy.
- When the egg is done, slide it onto the melted cheese, and top with a handful of drained, curly spring onions. Don't put any salt or pepper on your egg, the ham is plenty salty, and the sriracha brings the heat.
- Slather the top of your bun with the sriracha mayo, place on top of the sandwich and eat! Don't even bother with napkins, just wash your hands after!